KNOWN AS THE “COCA-COLA” ROUTE, THE MARANGU ROUTE IS A CLASSIC CLIMB ON MOUNT KILIMANJARO. IT IS THE OLDEST, MOST WELL ESTABLISHED ROUTE. MANY FAVOR THE MARANGU ROUTE BECAUSE IT IS CONSIDERED TO BE THE EASIEST PATH ON THE MOUNTAIN, GIVEN ITS GRADUAL SLOPE.
DAY 1 :MOSHI- MANDARA HUT (FULL BOARD)
After having your breakfast we will make a short journey from your hotel in Moshi to National Park gate for the necessary formalities at the gate. We start the climbs through fascinating tropical rain forest; we reach the first hut at Mandara for dinner and overnight. An alternative is to simply rest and relax the beautiful forest around the camp. Marangu Gate to Mandara Hut (2,700 m): 4-5 hours walking.
DAY 2 – MANDARA HUT – HORROMBO HUT (FULL BOARD)
Today the first part of the walk is a steep ascent through forest, but the path soon opens out into moorland and, in clear weather, there are great views of Kibo and Mawenzi peaks. We arrive at Horombo Hut mid-afternoon, where you can relax and enjoy the stunning scenery around the camp.
Mandara Hut to Horombo Hut (3,720 m): 4-6 hours walking.
DAY 3: HORROMBO HUT (FULL BOARD)
Today we walk towards the Mawenzi hut, passing the Zebra Rocks, this extra day and night at Horombo is for additional acclimatization. We recommend drinking enough water and walking slowly! All meals for the day are provided at the Horrombo hut.
Horombo hut to further improve our acclimatization.
DAY 4: HOROMBO HUT – ZEBRA ROCKS ACCLIMATIZATION
DAY 5: HOROMBO -KIBO HUT (FULL BOARD)
Today we climb very gradually towards the lunar desert of the Saddle between Mawenzi and Kibo. These 6-7 hours walking will be taken at a slow pace until we reach Kibo Hut (4,700m), where we will spend the night in a comfortable hut.
There is no running water at Kibo Hut. The remainder of the day is spent relaxing in preparation for the final ascent before a very early night.
Horrombo Hut to Kibo Hut (4,700 m.); 4-6 hours walking.
DAY 6: KIBO HUT – UHURU PEAK – HOROMBO HUT(FULL BOARD)
Wake up before midnight in the cover of darkness. We begin a steep climb over loose volcanic scree has some well-graded zig-zags and a slow but steady pace will take us to rim of the main crater, Gillman’s 5,685 m. We will rest there for few minutes to enjoy the sunrise over Mawenzi. We then continue across the snow around the rim for a further 2 hrs for the final push to Uhuru Peak (5895m) – Africa’s highest point. After a few minutes to appreciate your accomplishment we descend to Kiko Hut is amazingly fast, and we stop at Kibo Hut for some refreshment, we continue to descend to reach Horrombo Hut.
Kibo Hut to Summit to Horombo Hut (3,720 m.): 13-15 hours walking.
DAY 7: HOROMBO TO MARANGU GATE
Today we will descend past Mandara hut to Marangu National Park gate, successful climbers will receive their summit certificates. From here you will be transferred to the hotel in Moshi for dinner and overnight. Horombo hut to Marangu Gate. (6-7 hours walking).
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE PACKAGE
- Portable Toilet tent
- 2 Night Hotel accommodation in Moshi, a day before trek and a day after trek
- Transportation to and from your selected route
- Transfer from Airport to Moshi on arrival and return to airport after climb.
- Quality, Waterproof, four-season private mountain sleeping tent
- Quality Mess tents with table and chairs
- Certified, experienced, English speaking mountain guides:
- All Tanzanian National Park Fees
- Government Climbing Taxes
- Climbing permits
- All hot Meals prepared by our cook while on Mountain
- Guides, Porters and Cook Salaries
- Fair and ethical treatment of Porters
- Enough porters to carry your luggage
- Safety Equipment:
ii. Oxygen Pulse Oximeter
- Hot drinks at every meal
- Water provided on climb, mineral water for the first day and boiled water every day
- Emergency rescue fees
- Personal Summit Certificate signed by the National Park and your Guide
PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Personal items and toiletries
- International airfares and departure taxes
- All items of person nature such as telephone call, fax, email etc
- Alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks
- Laundry services
- Visa and International flight tickets fees.
- Tips for guides, porters and cook (this is a guide to tipping on the mountain
Tipping on Kilimanjaro from the trekking group (not per climber):
i. Guides: $20/day/guide
ii. Cook: $15/day
iii. Porter: $10/day/porter